What do you REALLY need to know?

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Happy Birthday to my HERO!

Preparing my speech for my father's birthday tonight...

"The occasion of your birthday, I wanted to share some true words that have been on my mind for some time. As your first child I am proud and blessed to have this opportunity to stop and reflect on a remarkable person who I am fortunate enough to have shaped my life and my being with love and guidance. I am also saddened that I cannot be around you everyday and tell you again how much I love you and respect you and appreciate everything you’ve done for me, for longer than I can remember.


So let me simply say, Dad, that I look at you as a hero, as my hero. You are an amazing man, one that I admire and appreciate and love. You showed me how to have fun, how to enjoy life, what family REALLY means, what leadership and sacrifice and responsibility and joy means. You have given me the very essence of how I perceive life and I cannot express how profoundly grateful I am for all that you have done.


I have so many memories of the kindness, and love and fun that you brought to my life over the years. Many of the best are the simplest. Like my fond memory of feeding your vcr with toothpaste, peach pits, and banana peels. Or the time you got me a mini car that I could only drive around in your bedroom. Or the time you took me on long walks around the neighborhood with your long leg strides and my short running legs with ONE HUGE ROCK inside of it! – Simple, perfect, ever lasting PAIN is what I recall! I didn't say a word because I didn't want to ruin the moment I had being with you for the day. Moments and memories that were created and I am grateful to look back and realize that I was pretty stupid as a kid!

Thank you Dad for all of those and many, many memories and your LOVE. For being my HERO. Truly! I love you from the bottom of my heart. You are a great man and I am so fortunate to be your daughter."

Mk.